Tuesday, May 19, 2009

American Car Companies

So this past Sunday I watched America die away. I watched the Mecum spring auction, I had no idea what this was. I soon learned it was a car auction I, not being a "car guy" would usually give two shits but this one was different. There were no Dusenbergs, or Astin-Martins, or Ferrari. It was just good old American muscle cars Mopar, Chevies and Fords form the 60's and 70's these were the cars I used to dream about as a teenager. GTOs, 442s, big block 69 Camaros most with cheesy racing stripes. I began to watch and remember the first time I had wanted to drive these cars in my youth, the closest I ever got was a brown Oldsmobile Cutlass with a 350 four barrel nice yes but it was no 442. Plus it smelled like flowers due to it being owned but my grandmother before I got it. It had get up but the cars at this auction were the epitome of get up. They will always be the cool cars to anyone who saw them in their heyday, their sound was unique a low rumbling that was unmistakable, they actually had a smell because catalytic converters were not mandatory yet. I will never forget that smell, it all came back watching this auction. These kids today who love Obama and all he stands for have no idea what a muscle car is or should sound like. Hey guys it sure as shit is NOT a rice burner that sounds like a lawnmower. There was a dark side to this auction though, we will never see these cars or anything like them ever again. Now we have CAFE standards that set limits on how much power we can have in our cars (they are trying to expand that to our daily lives to be sure) thus eliminating any chance of big block V-8s rumbling on our streets again. America used to dream big and build big cars with big badass engines, it was a simple statement saying we are king of the mountain. Now we apologize for our aggrandizement of ourselves and our feeling about our nation you can keep your prius and your smart cars I will never buy anything that does not have eight cylinders, I am a pick-up guy.

Now I did not want the car companies bailed out just like I did not want Wall Street bailed out. But this is way worse he is running the car companies and literally giving them to the unions. Understand this: if the car companies go out of business for whatever reason; greedy union members, bad management shoddy union work, inferior quality because of a union workers who does not care because he/she cannot be fired, too expensive for what you are getting, whatever reason. If they fail the unions get nothing except what ever debt they hold which was around 11% before Obama stepped in and handed the unions 55% of Chrysler and 38% of GM. The he tried to demonize and strong arm actual debt holders who were screwed out of what they were owed under the law. Hey asshole you just invalidated every fucking contract in America with this plan but of course I know this has been your plan all along. Send America into a shit storm of financial confusion so you can seize control of private assets for the government and unions. Changing us from a Capitalist, market driven republic to a central planned, fascist "People's" republic. A utopia of price controls for cars, gasoline, health care, credit cards, mortgages and sacrifices for all except, of course, government workers. Check it out, the government will grow its payroll and not sacrifice anything. This is administration's M.O. This time there will be no stopping it, unless...

No comments: